There are a lot of companies that really take advantage of people and charge an arm and a leg for a domain name. If your paying more than 15$ a year to maintain your domain name your being taken advantage of. Netfirms and Godaddy as well as a slue of other companies charge about 10$ a year for .com’s .ca’s etc. I have seen some companies charge well over $100 a year to renew or purchase a domain. It can really pay off to shop around.
Now if you happened to sign up to one of these companies that overcharge you can simply transfer your domain. Again, I would recommend someone like Netfirms or Godaddy for domain as they are two of the biggest companies. Here are the steps you need to take to transfer a domain name.
- Visit one of the sites I mentioned and set up an account
- Check your administrative contact on your domain to make sure you can receive email at the specified account (http://www.internic.net)
- Log into your new account and select ‘transfer domain’ add you domain name and continue.
- An email will be sent to the administrative contact on record for your domain with an authorization code.
- Log back into your new account enter the authentication code and select transfer
- Your domain will be transferred within 24 hours.
One little side note, I don’t recommend hosting from the above recommended companies. Small hosting companies offer much better support for issues you have or may have in the future. In addition a small company really works to keep your business and will sometimes feature your site on theirs creating good back links. I guarantee you don’t get that kind of service from the big kahunas.
As always message us if you have any question on transferring a domain name.